• What do numbers convey? (identify amount--Cardinal; name position --ordinal; indicated location --nominal)
• How can numbers be expressed, ordered, and compared?
• What are different ways to count? ( count all, count one, count back, skip count, count groups)
• What are efficient ways to count? (count up, (or back) from largest number, count sets of items, count to/using landmark numbers)
• How can numbers be decomposed into other numbers or composed into another number?
LESSON SEED: COUNTING TO FIND OUT "HOW MANY"
Lesson seeds are ideas that can be used to build a lesson aligned to the CCSS. Lesson seeds are not meant to be all-inclusive, nor are they substitutes for instruction. When developing lessons from these seeds, teachers must consider the needs of all learners. It is also important to build checkpoints into the lessons where appropriate formative assessment will inform a teachers instructional pacing and delivery.
This activity can be used as a pre-assessment; however, students need many opportunities to explore this concept.